What Are Facebook Stars?
This lesson will prepare you to:
- Understand the Stars program.
- Know how payments are received and disbursed.
- Articulate the benefits of Stars for content creators and their fans.
Content creators rely on social media to connect with people who appreciate their work. Facebook has added a feature to give creators a new way to earn money and fans a new way to show appreciation. With Stars, viewers of Facebook live video can support content creators in real time.
Stars enables you to earn money from your video content. Viewers can buy Stars and send them to you in the comment section to show support and help their comment stand out. You get paid 1 cent for every Star that you receive.
Stars can help you:
- Move offline business, performances and services online.
- Identify and deepen connection with fans and followers.
- Provide a new way for your fans, followers and clients to engage with you and support your work.
Meet fitness guru Nadya
Nadya is a fitness instructor known for her fun and challenging spin classes. Nadya has a fitness studio, and has been using Facebook Live for a while, but hasn’t yet earned money directly from her videos. She has recently had to move more of her activities online and is focusing most of her energy on leading spin classes through live video on Facebook.
Stars can help her earn money from these popular live classes.
Meet chef Mario
Mario is the head chef at the Mediterranean restaurant, Little Lemon. In addition to running the kitchen, he also leads in-person cooking classes and publishes cooking demonstration videos. He’s been earning money from his videos, but he’s new to Facebook Live.
Stars can help him find new ways to engage with his viewers and earn money as he expands his video offerings and moves more in-person classes online.
Benefits of Stars
Stars offers a range of benefits to live video creators and the communities that watch them.
Enable people to support you in an engaging way.
Facilitate the transition of offline paid performances, training and services to online.
Foster the growth of communities around creators, brands and organizations.
Enable new or casual fans to support creators without committing to fan subscriptions.
Help fund new content and equipment.
Give you a new way to earn money without pay-gating your live videos. Fans can pay whenever and how much they choose.
Live video on Facebook
To earn money and receive the benefits of Stars, you need to stream live video on Facebook. Live video is different from video you post to your Page. It enables you to engage in real time with your viewers. Since it’s live, it can have a less polished, more immediate and intimate feel than videos you produce, edit and post to your Page.
Earn money from your live video
Stars enables you to monetize, in other words, earn money from your video content. Many creators are monetizing on Facebook platforms while some may be new to it. Creator Studio is where you manage Stars, branded content, in-stream video ads and everything else related to monetization on Facebook platforms.
What this looks like to your audience
You may wonder what the Stars experience is like for your audience.
- Live video viewers can tap the star icon next to comments and reactions to buy and send Stars.
- You earn 1 cent for every Star you receive. Fans typically buy and send stars in “packs.” For example, if someone sends you 100 stars, you’d receive $1.00.
- When people send Stars everyone watching the video will see it.
- To show appreciation and encourage people to send Stars, try to thank supporters and engage with people who send Stars. We’ll cover this and more in the lesson: Tips to Help you Succeed with Facebook Stars.
- Enable Stars.
- Set up an account to receive payments.
- Set a Stars goal (not required, but recommended).
- Stream your Live video.
Once you complete these steps, people watching your video will be able to send you Stars. Continue on to the next lesson to learn more..